Re: Compiling Canon LiDE 220 driver from source

On Tue 16 Aug 2016 at 15:39:00 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Tuesday 16 August 2016 13:49:48 Brian wrote:
> >
> > Mea culpa. Please see the apt-get manual: build-dep (no "s").
>
> Thanks, both. :-)
>
> Everything now built, though there was an error at the end:
>
> Now running lintian...
> warning: the authors of lintian do not recommend running it with root
> privileges!

You built the packages as root? Lintian would then run as root. There is
a warning about this. Can be ignored but 'debuild -us -uc' should be run
as a user.

> W: libsane: package-name-doesnt-match-sonames libsane1
> N: 2 tags overridden (1 error, 1 warning)
> Finished running lintian.
> root@Eros:/home/lisi/Sane-Files/sane-backends-1.0.25#

Probably nothing to worry about when it comes to using sane. But I am no
expert here.

Five .debs are built; only libsane, libsane-common and sane-utils need
to be installed with 'dpkg -i'.

> And although sane-find-scanner continued to be able to see the scanner,
> scanimage -L continues determinedly not to see it.
>
> The Canon LiDE 220 is explicitly mentioned as being supported in the file
> sane-genesys.5, which is in /etc/sane.d

At least 'sane-find-scanner' works. :) Note that its purpose is only to
find a scanner. The purpose of 'scanimage -L' is to discover whether
there is a backend which will drive the found scanner. As you say, it
should find yours is supported in genesys.conf.

Check that 0x04a9 0x1906 in genesys.conf is matched by what the output
of 'lsusb' should show (04a9 1906).

Make it easy for 'scanimage -L' and not have it have to search for a
backend to use: comment out or delete every line in dll.conf apart from
"genesys" and restart the sane service.

Change USB ports for the scanner. USB2 or USB3?