Re: The DISPLAY variable.

peter@easthope.ca wrote:

> xrandr recognizes only one screen?  Why?  Any ideas to have
> the two screens recognized according to the documentation?
>
> Thanks,             ... Peter E.

Screen and display are completely different things in different contexts.

If you have 1 graphic card you usually have 1 screen and one display, which
would correspond to DISPLAY=:0.0 in X11 terminology.
If you have some special card flavor or perhaps two cards you could have 2
displays/screens.

I have the feeling what you call screen or display is not exactly what you
mean. What you mean is most probably monitor. One screen may stretch to
multiple monitors - one display to multiple screens.

DISPLAY=:D.S
D - display
S - screen

http://askubuntu.com/questions/432255/what-is-display-environment-variable

In your case - if you want to put a program window somewhere, you should
work with the position parameter(s) - xoff,yoff

xeyes --help
        [-geometry [{width}][x{height}][{+-}{xoff}[{+-}{yoff}]]]

regards