Re: Networking: unable to get multi-homed host working in Debian 8

Le 10/08/2016 à 14:43, Tom Browder a écrit :

$ ip -4 addr
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN
group default
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast
state UP group default qlen 1000
    inet 192.168.0.17/24 brd 192.168.0.255 scope global eth0
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

Well, it it looks like I was right.

Is there confusion in my Debian 8 between networking setting methods
(ip ves ifconfig)?

What makes you think this ? Does ifconfig display the additional addresses ? I doubt it.

Reading again your original message, IIRC the "restart" action acts only on interfaces configured with "auto" or "allow-auto", not "allow-hotplug". This is the reason of the big warning displayed when you run the command.

Should I understand that by "all went well" you just meant there was no error message but you did not check the actual interface configuration ?

Did you reboot the system ? If not, try this :
ifup --force eth0