Re: GNOME 3.20 dropped support for tap-to-click?

On Mon, 1 Aug 2016, Francois Gouget wrote:
[...]
> I tried some more mouse/touchpad drivers to no avail. To summarize:
>  * xserver-xorg-input-synaptics: tap-to-click but no right click
>  * xserver-xorg-input-libinput:  right click but no tap-to-click

That should have been the opposite:
>  * xserver-xorg-input-synaptics: right click but no tap-to-click
>  * xserver-xorg-input-libinput:  tap-to-click but no right click
[...]
> So no matter what, touchpads are broken in GNOME and so far as I can
> tell nobody cares :-(

But I finally found a workaround using the synaptics driver.

I don't have an xorg.conf file so I tried adding Michael's suggested
settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf but that had no
effect. Maybe the identifier string was wrong or more likely the
configuration section just cannot stand on its own.

So then I copied /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-synaptics.conf to
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d and added the TapButton lines to the section titled
"Default clickpad buttons". So for me that section now reads:

# This option enables the bottom right corner to be a right button on clickpads
# and the right and middle top areas to be right / middle buttons on clickpads
# with a top button area.
# This option is only interpreted by clickpads.
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "Default clickpad buttons"
        MatchDriver "synaptics"
        Option "SoftButtonAreas" "50% 0 82% 0 0 0 0 0"
        Option "SecondarySoftButtonAreas" "58% 0 0 15% 42% 58% 0 15%"
        Option "TapButton1" "1"
        Option "TapButton2" "2"
        Option "TapButton3" "3"
EndSection

And that finally got me tap-to-click with the synaptics driver, without
breaking right-clicks. It's sad that getting such basic functionality
working feels like a breakthrough :-(

--
Francois Gouget <fgouget@free.fr>              http://fgouget.free.fr/
                            $live{free} || die "";