Re: Downloading and naming

On 7/31/16, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 31 July 2016 09:59:44 Brian Wengel wrote:
>> I'm talking about media. The debian developers should erase CD/DVD from
>> their brian, and only focus on the technologies we use today and have
>> used
>> for many years.
>
> I'm glad that you are rich and live in a rich country.  Many aren't and
> don't.
> In world terms most still use old computers.  Many computers still in every
>
> day use will not boot from USB, and even when they will do so, USB can be
> very problematic.

Lisi saved me some writing there. Not only will some systems not boot
from USB, some still in active operation today don't even have USB
capability period. This Hewlett Packard I'm on, ze5375us, is how I
know that. By the way, it *does* have DVD capability.

Many of the Linux derivatives out there are a Life enhancing, Life
enriching, Life saving tool for people at poverty level. I know this
firsthand, also, from an *abject* poverty level viewpoint. If those of
us at poverty level can afford a computer at all, it's the kind that
secondhand stores sell for $25, $30, or so with a release date circa
the dinosaur ages of 2000-2004.

And yes, albeit on much rarer occasion the last couple years, those
purchased at that price actually do still come with floppy capability.
I can't remember where I saw it in the last approximate month or so
(Newegg 3rd party vendor, maybe?) but someone is/was still actively
selling floppy drives for those machines. People don't waste limited,
valuable Life energies on something that is not being sought
after.....

> Debian's strength is that it allows the use of old technology and smaller
> boxen.  Have you tried to install Ubuntu on a Raspberry Pi A?  Oh, you
> probably don't want to.  But many do.  Horses for courses.  If you prefer
> Ubuntu and its ways, use Ubuntu.  If you have decided that you prefer
> Debian,
> for whatever reason, great.  And yes, the website could do with some
> tidying.
> Debian hasn't got a millionaire paying for web-designers.   But don't try to
>
> make Debian copy Ubuntu.

Debian became my sought after primary operating system because of THAT
particular "other" distribution. If Debian started feeling like THAT
particular "other'" distribution, I would immediately be looking
elsewhere for a replacement.

That particular "other" distro causes me to literally, physically
"shudder" at any mention of it k/t a devastating Aptitude related
collapse of that distro on a primary computer. I *will* disclaim that
I was a much newer user of all things Linux at the time so that played
its part in the experience.

Several years later, though, that total operating experience was so
horrific back then that I still have no intentions of ever going back,
even for momentary historical funnsies. Keyword there would be...
limited, valuable Life energies. :)

Debian... overtly going the route of looking and acting like any
and/or all other distributions out there? I'm experiencing that on a
browser level basis right now. I downloaded a browser thinking I was
getting something unique, something different from, more "fun" than
all the rest like it used to be years ago. Instead it's so much like
other browsers now that I have to keep looking for the logo to verify
which one I'm using.

The word "disappointed" doesn't begin to cover this recent browser
experience. *OMG, GACK!* is about what I thought the first few times I
fired this one up. These days the word "mundane" pretty much fits the
experience... :)

PS To not totally disparage this now "mundane" browser, it *did*
accomplish a desperately needed financial security related task that
other browsers were not fulfilling. And this is (was?) a current
version whereas only older, archived releases of other browsers were
functioning on the dinosaur "still other" operating system I got
forced into a few weeks back. Variety... *_CHOICE_*... One size does
not fit all... yada-yada.. :)

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey