Re: What Linux distribution to use?

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016, at 14:29, Brian wrote:

> for one machine, probably ancient but still doing a useful
> job, I have
>
>   model name      : Geode(TM) Integrated Processor by AMD PCS
>
> That's not enough, is it? What has to done to determine its processor
> class?
>
> I'm happy enough keeping it on Jessie but, for obvious reasons, don't
> want to attempt a disastrous Stretch upgrade.

Sven has already replied to the general case; but I thought I'd mention
your specific example, since it is a particularly interesting case.

As I understand it, the AMD Geode processor is one instruction short
of the full Pentium Pro instruction set: NOPL.  But it appears that
the GCC compiler has been modified to not generate NOPL instructions when
"-march i686" is used.  Therefore, the AMD Geode should qualify.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@fastmail.com>
 : :'  :