Re: What Linux distribution to use?

On Tue 26 Jul 2016 at 22:28:24 (+0200), Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2016-07-26 15:04 -0500, David Wright wrote:
> > Does this mean that the days of running Debian on an old box in the
> > corner are now numbered, or should a bug be filed against making
> > such apt-related packages depend on such "modern" extensions.
>
> A 686-class processor is required for stretch, see
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2016/05/msg00001.html.

Thanks for that reference. The line
"[unsupported in stretch] Intel Pentium, Pentium with MMX"
is perhaps a little bald, but I assume that that means that
everything from Pentium Pro upwards should be supported.

One issue though: I have a useful laptop that has a nifty 686 (AIUI)
Pentium M processor but I have to run linux-image-3.16.0-4-586 on it
because it lacks the PAE. (It has SSE/SSE2.) Do you know whether
stretch will cater for non-PAE processors? Or is this no more than
a kernel issue which doesn't involve package builds, as appears to
be the case in jessie?

Cheers,
David.