Networking nonfunctional on 8.0

My 8.0 system has been running great up until Monday evening when
users started reporting they were unable to connect. Sure enough, I
couldn't even connect from my LAN. I rebooted, looked at messages from
dmesg, and saw nothing unusual--nothing that said networking couldn't
start, or there was a hardware failure, nothing to indicate a problem.
What should I check next?

As always, thanks in advance. I learn so much just by casual browses
of messages on this list. If I made a career of Debian sys admin, I'm
sure I'd get all my knowledge fromlearn everything I need to know from
here. It's a great resource.