Re: Force Re-installation

Am Sonntag, 24. Juli 2016, 09:30:12 schrieb S. P. Molnar:
> Debian Jessie.
>
> How do I force the re-installation of a file and all of it's dependencies?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Two solutions:
1. I would deinstall the package (aptitude purge packagename), then maybe all
orphaned libs (aptitude purge `deborphan --guess-all`, but tak care, that
package "orphaner" is installed), and also do apt-get autoremove.
After that reinstall the required package with aptitude.

2. The second one requires a little more work.
Start ncurses gui of aptitude, then look for the package you want to
deinstall. Mark it for deinstall. Look into the dependencies and manually mark
all dependencies for deinstall. Take care of mnarking the depenedencies of the
dependencies to deinstall, until you have marked all dependencies.
You have to work very carefully. When all is marked, deinstall.
After that, reinstall the required package with aptitude.

Hint: After deinstallation quit aptitude and start it again, then install the
package.

Good luck,

Hans