Re: [Gimp-user] Next gotcha

On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 21:36:46 -0400
Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:

> I asked earlier if there was an .rc file someplace that would let me
> fix the defaults for the text gizmo, got crickets.  Very frustrating
> that apparently no one on this list is enough smarter about this that
> they can assist me.
>
> > > Did this train lose its conductor a few stops back?  Or how can I
> > > back it up to when it Just Worked(TM) quite a bit of the time?

> > I'm guessing what you've bumped into is the problem of selecting
> > which layer you want to draw into. If you can bring up the widget
> > that shows your layer list, it's a lot easier to navigate the
> > layers. Otherwise, you have to kind of intuit which layer you are
> > currently in and use the layer menu stuff to shift between them.
> >
> I've been advised of that layer list stuff, but it doesn't exist in
> any menu. I did see that IP can invert the order, but what order am I
> inverting? IOW, not a clue what this layer list is, or where it it
> (in which menu pulldown).

Windows->Dockable Dialogs->Layers

Create new layers, copy existing layers to new layers so you can mess
with them, make them visible, invisible, or anywhere in between...
whatever you want to do, do it in a new layer so you can move it
around and mess with it without affecting anything else. When you're
happy, you can merge layers, and you must do this anyway when you
export to a graphics format that doesn't have them.

I've never bothered with the help, there are masses of tutorials on the
Net. So far I haven't found anything I want to do that someone else
hasn't already explained. But I'm not a graphics artist, I use Gimp
occasionally to clean things up and modify them, not to create. And
yes, it is frustrating, but so are other applications that are that
versatile. There's a whole new set of jargon to learn, dodging,
burning, cloning etc.

--
Joe