Re: [Gimp-user] Next gotcha

On Friday 22 July 2016 18:54:28 Joel Rees wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 23, 2016 at 5:32 AM, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net>
wrote:
> > Greetings all
> >
> > I did, after 20 minutes of screwing around, finally get it to use a
> > selected foreground color for the text.
> >
> > But when I hit the help menu, up pops the help for 2.6!  So I fire
> > up synaptic and check to see if I am out of date, because the
> > "context help" doesn't work at all.  Yup, I'm up to date allright,
> > got gimp-2.8.2 but the doc files are for 2.6.x.  Debian wheezy at
> > your service, NOT.
>
> I don't even have the help files installed. 8-<
>
> Look for the package for the help files in synaptic or from the
> command line and update that manually.
>
> > Anyway, the next problem is that I can't find a tool that will let
> > me draw freehand lines so I can make a few arrows that point from a
> > line of text to a feature in the image.  Or maybe even draw a
> > balloon around the text pointing at the feature.
>
> There's a pen tool in there that I'm still trying to figure out how to
> use. It's for constructing "paths". Ignore it for now.
>
> Airbrush, paintbrush, pencil, stamp, etc. Except, ...

They don't work either. I thought maybe in a pinch I could draw fuzzy
arrows. Nope.  Not a thing. I tried to use something that when clicked
on, would draw two teeny boxes with an orange line between them that
separated from the click point moving the end boxes an equal amount in
opposite directions, but could not make that into a permanent line. and
when I gave up clicking around on that and picked a new spot to plant
another just like it, then I got an interconnecting curved line from the
center of the first to the center of the second, that wasn't what I
wanted, so the undo pulldown got used, a lot. I finally gave up on that,
and added a new text box to the picture I was working complaining about
how busted gimp is now and published it on my web page.

Where can I obtain the doc files for 2.8.2 so at least the help matches
the software (maybe), in a format that will actually work with 2.8.2?

The left column tool selector is apparently taller than my screen, which
is the native size of a Dell S2340M monitor.  That doesn't help either.

I asked earlier if there was an .rc file someplace that would let me fix
the defaults for the text gizmo, got crickets.  Very frustrating that
apparently no one on this list is enough smarter about this that they
can assist me.

> > Did this train lose its conductor a few stops back?  Or how can I
> > back it up to when it Just Worked(TM) quite a bit of the time?
>
> I'm guessing what you've bumped into is the problem of selecting which
> layer you want to draw into. If you can bring up the widget that shows
> your layer list, it's a lot easier to navigate the layers. Otherwise,
> you have to kind of intuit which layer you are currently in and use
> the layer menu stuff to shift between them.

I've been advised of that layer list stuff, but it doesn't exist in any
menu. I did see that IP can invert the order, but what order am I
inverting? IOW, not a clue what this layer list is, or where it it (in
which menu pulldown).

> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
> > --
> > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)