Re: Blocking 445 IP port

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 11:36:03AM +1000, Justin Steven wrote:
> I'm a bit fuzzy on enabling/disabling services in light of the move to systemd.
> I don't think smbd is handled by systemd yet so you can't use systemctl to
> disable it (hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

You can. It's

	systemctl disable smbd

To mark smbd as not to be enabled; and

	systemctl stop smbd

To stop it if its already running.

To expand on one point:

> I don't think smbd is handled by systemd yet

At least on jessie, it isn't, in so far as there are no .service files provided
by the samba package for smbd (they *do* provide a "samba.service" file which is
emtpy and serves the purpose to 'mask' the service name 'samba' so if you run
'systemctl start samba' nothing happens. Some backstory about why they've done
this is in http://bugs.debian.org/740942). But, jessie's systemd will run
update-rc.d on your behalf if you run 'systemctl disable/enable smbd'.

--
Jonathan Dowland
Please do not CC me, I am subscribed to the list.