Re: Blocking 445 IP port

On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 12:37:57 +0000 (UTC)
Thiago Zoroastro <thiago.zoroastro@yahoo.com.br> wrote:

> Hi
> I just installed samba to begin learning him. But I realized that I
> don't need it in my personal system. My Debian systems are installed
> in pendrives and boot them in any computer, so I can study them when
> I want. If I decide leaving 445 IP port opened, so I prefer
> uninstalling Samba when not needed. Thank y'all.

The full samba installation ('samba' package) including the smbd and
nmbd daemons is only necessary for operation as a Samba server i.e. if
the computer hosts shares or if it participates in a Windows domain.

To access shares elsewhere, only Samba clients are needed. The smbclient
client package is command-line, but useful in learning options,
cifs-utils is used to mount remote SMB/CIFS shares into the local
filesystem, and various other samba utilities exist. Nautilus file
manager and Konqueror web browser can both browse remote SMB shares.

--
Joe