Re: What pkg provides openssl headers?

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 5:14 PM, Nicholas Geovanis
<nickgeovanis@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi - I'm somewhat new to debian. I'm building the nagios NRPE plugin on
> Debian Jessie. Its configure script fails the check for SSL header files
> with "Cannot find SSL headers". Which Debian package provides them?
> Thanks.....Nick

Others have already provided you with good answers. But since my
favorite approach is missing, I thought I would chime in.

I often use "apt-cache search" for issues like this. For example in this case

% apt-cache search openssl header files
dlang-openssl - D version of the C headers for openssl
lcmaps-openssl-interface - LCMAPS header files for OpenSSL interfaces
libssl-dev - Secure Sockets Layer toolkit - development files

shows that there are three packages that could be interesting.
"apt-cache search" does a full text search on all available package
lists for the given regex pattern. More details in the "man apt-cache"
page.

Now you can read the description of each package ("apa-cache show
<pkgname>") to figure out that libssl-dev is probably what you are
after.

This approach works well if there are only a handful of results. But
if there are too many results, it can be quire tiring to research each
and every one of them. In that case, I pipe the output to
popsort.py[1][2] which sorts the results by popularity. For example

% apt-cache search openssl header files | popsort.py
54043 lcmaps-openssl-interface - LCMAPS header files for OpenSSL interfaces
43941 dlang-openssl - D version of the C headers for openssl
1771 libssl-dev - Secure Sockets Layer toolkit - development files

where the first column shows the rank of the package and the results
are shown in the order of increasing popularity. In this particular
case, libssl-dev is the most popular one. So I would start my research
from there.

[1] - popsort.py is a python program I wrote. It can be downloaded
from https://gitlab.com/d3k2mk7/rutils/blob/master/bin/popsort.py and
requires Python3.
[2] - http://raju.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Sort_output_of_apt-cache_search_by_popularity
- my blog post on this utility script