Re: locked out of postfix install

dpkg seems to be totally broken :-

~~~~
$ sudo apt-get install node
[sudo] password for aaronngray:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
 exim4-base : Depends: exim4-config (>= 4.82) but it is not going to
be installed or
                       exim4-config-2
              Recommends: mailx
 node : Depends: ax25-node but it is not going to be installed
        Conflicts: nodejs-legacy
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
specify a solution).
aaronngray@aarongray:/etc/apt$ apt-get -f install
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
aaronngray@aarongray:/etc/apt$ sudo apt-get -f install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
  gyp libc-ares-dev libc-ares2 libjs-node-uuid libjs-underscore liblockfile1
  libv8-3.14-dev libv8-3.14.5 node-abbrev node-ansi node-ansi-color-table
  node-archy node-async node-block-stream node-combined-stream node-cookie-jar
  node-delayed-stream node-forever-agent node-form-data node-fstream
  node-fstream-ignore node-github-url-from-git node-glob node-graceful-fs
  node-gyp node-inherits node-ini node-json-stringify-safe node-lockfile
  node-lru-cache node-mime node-minimatch node-mkdirp node-mute-stream
  node-node-uuid node-nopt node-normalize-package-data node-npmlog node-once
  node-osenv node-qs node-read node-read-package-json node-request node-retry
  node-rimraf node-semver node-sha node-sigmund node-slide node-tar
  node-tunnel-agent node-underscore node-which
  exim4-config
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  postfix
  exim4-config
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/501 kB of archives.
After this operation, 1,129 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
Preconfiguring packages ...
dpkg: error processing package postfix (--remove):
 package is in a very bad inconsistent state; you should
 reinstall it before attempting a removal
 postfix
aaronngray@aarongray:/etc/apt$ sudo apt-get -f install postfix
aaronngray@aarongray:/etc/apt$ sudo apt-get -f install exim4-config
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
 exim4-config : Conflicts: postfix but 2.11.3-1 is to be installed
[...]
aaronngray@aarongray:/etc/apt$ sudo apt-get -f reinstall postfix
E: Command line option 'f' [from -f] is not known.
aaronngray@aarongray:/etc/apt$ sudo apt-get reinstall postfix
E: Invalid operation reinstall
~~~~

Is there anyway to fix this ? or am I better doing a reinstall ?

Aaron