Re: jessie-kvm-qemu: Win7 guest fails to update

[Wed, 13 Jul 2016 16:06:43 -0000 (UTC)] Frank Miles
<fpm@u.washington.edu> wrote:
> I have two jessie systems with kvm-qemu virtualized Windows7 guest
> OSs. These are mostly working well (including guest inter-networking)
> to the extent that I use Windows, with one glaring exception: when I
> try to do a Windows Update - the process never finds anything to do,
> nor does it ever terminate.  Ordinary Windows systems (belonging to
> other users) are finding lots of updates and fairly quickly.

[...]

> Has anyone else seen this?  And better yet, found a solution?
> DuckDuckGo has not helped so far...

How long ago was the last successful update? Was there ever one?

I have recently read [1] that upon reinstalling Windows 7 from scratch
Windows Update often ``takes hours'' (like say 12 hours or such) until
it has finally/successfully scanned for updates. The problem you
describe sounds very similar. IIRC it can be solved by installing a
certain Windows KB... manually and then scanning for updates another
time.

[1]
http://www.heise.de/ct/ausgabe/2016-5-Windows-7-Windows-Update-Beine-machen-3100633.html

...although the link does not contain a description of the solution, it
has further links (below ``WEITERFÜHRENDE LINKS'') where the correct
update to manually install is likely to be linked.

HTH
Linux-Fan

--
http://masysma.lima-city.de/