Re: password problem

On 7/11/16, der.hans <deb-user@lufthans.com> wrote:
> Am 11. Jul, 2016 schwätzte Bob Holtzman so:
>
> moin moin Bob,
>>
>> The installation proceeded smoothly to the end and I tried to log in.
>> That's where the wheels came off. The os wouldn't take the password no
>> matter how many tries there were.
>
> Have you tried from a virtual terminal as well as from X?
>
> I'm certain you know how to get there, but just in case you don't
> remember...
>
> <ctrl><alt><f1>
>
> ciao,
>
> der.hans
>
>> I've run into this before and it always ended in a reinstall, which
>> didn't always solve the problem.

Just for fun while you're typing in at the terminal or however you end
up going, type very slowly and deliberately, too. This is one of those
times I had in mind when I posted my unsolicited tip a while back
about passwords seeming not to work and then they sometimes suddenly
do as if by magic.

My angle is about default settings before we log our users in.
Passwords are often hidden so we don't see when we accidentally type
in too many letters/characters k/t the key entry repetition rate, for
example.

What can happen because it happens to me is that it's really easy to
"slur" password entries and not know it's happening because passwords
are often hidden from view by security design. One answer for that
"magic fix" where our passwords sometimes suddenly start working again
without intervention is that we slow down and start peck-peck-peck one
finger typing very deliberately out of pure frustration. :)

Hope that makes at least a little sense.

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with plastic sporks *