Re: Bash command completion

> On Jul 6, 2016, at 11:33 PM, Peter Ludikovsky <peter@ludikovsky.name> wrote:
>
> No, chsh changes the login shell for the user within /etc/passwd. It
> won't affect any currently active shells.
>
> What happens when you do an
>  /bin/bash --login
> That should start a login shell. If you still only get the tab
> character, check if you've got the line
>  set -o vi
> in /etc/profile, /etc/bash*, ~/.profile, or ~/.bash* anywhere.

Fired up the naughty computer, changed the /bin/sh link back to dash, did a chsh to /bin/bash in /etc/passwd, rebooted. Worked like a champ. The question now is who/what put /bin/sh in /etc/passwd...

Thank you all for your comments and help. This was making me crazy. I've learned IP and *nix on my own, and I get to know the corners by trial and error. This one was a pretty trivial, but beyond what I could figure out. Thanks all, I've learned a new corner...

Sure am glad I didn't have to deal with MS tech support :-)

--
Glenn English