Re: Browser Flakiness under Jessie -- Why?

On Wed, Jul 06, 2016 at 12:14:33AM +0000, Mark Fletcher wrote:

> > Do others have this problem?  Is it part of the general unreliability of
> > jessie?
> >
> > Thoughts, and possible assistance, appreciated.
> >
> > Alan
>
> This won't be anything to do with your internet connection. That error
> happens when the browser can't recover the state of your previous session,
> on startup.
         This I believe.  But it doesn't account for the steady drumbeat
	 of crashes.

> Jessie has moved to FireFox -- have you tried that?
  	 <sob>  Yes.  I have replaced the   iceweasel   that jessie
	 installed with    firefox-esr .  It doesn't open At All, unless
	 I run  'firefox-esr --version' or 'firefox-esr --help'.  The
	 error message is "Illegal instruction", returned in the terminal
	 from which I try to open it.  I don't know which file in
	 /var/log to use to try to get more information.

> As to "general unreliability of Jessie" I wonder what kind of dialogue you
> were hoping to start with a remark like that. Here of all places. Anyway,
         Isn't it obvious?  I, who have used Potato, Woody, Etch,
	 Squeezy, Wheeze, without any problems, have had _continual_
	 problems with Jessie.  I got some help from Mr Mieta months
	 ago, which helped me with the basic install.  Because of a
	 missing .Xauthority I was unable to use my standard startx
	 method of getting a minimum X11 session running.  Finally, in
	 desperation, I have installed gnome(!!!) which works, sort of,
	 but which leaves me floundering in all kinds of ways.

	 That's just me.  But you surely must have noticed the tons
	 of difficulties that even experts are having.  I have read, here,
	 that there are plans to implement a 'jessie-A'.

> I've been using Jessie since it assumed the "stable" mantle from wheezy,
> and only see that error when I'd expect to ie when I do something stupid
> and crash the browser or when the machine doesn't power down properly eg
> after a power cut.
  	I felicitate you.

	If you, or someone else, can at least tell me where to look
	for explanations of the "Illegal instruction", I should be
	most grateful.  [  Only with jessie have I had to use
	'tail -f' on various /var/log files, and even there I am
	floundering.

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://globaltap.com/~alan/
     Have the courage to be ignorant of a great number of things, in