Re: Totally non-functioning wifi card- starting again completely was: Re: Laptop wireless problem

On Monday 04 July 2016 17:37:00 Brian wrote:
> On Mon 04 Jul 2016 at 15:37:42 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > On Monday 04 July 2016 15:16:23 Brian wrote:
> >
> > It isn't.   It is just a short quotation to show the ipw 2200 and the
> > DRIVERS=="?*", because it bothered me that the drivers bit just had a
> > question mark, but apparently my worry about that was misplaced.  Whole
> > file beneath my signature.
>
> Full quotes are always preferable. If I were in your position I'd
> regenerate the file. You've possibly got at least one device there
> which is not on the machine. Let the system take care of things.
>
> Be that as it may, you appear to have all necessary firmware and
> drivers. So, how do you fancy a bit of low level stuff?
>
> Reboot and first check firmware loading from 'journalctl'. Then
> issue the command 'wpa_cli'.
>
> 1. wpa-cli
>      You get a prompt ">". This is interactive mode. A selected
>      interface should be shown. TAB completion of commands works.
>      Command history is with the UP and DOWN keys. The following
>      commands are typed at the prompt.
>
> 2. add_network
>      You'll probably get 0 for the network number.
>
> 3. set_network 0 ssid "Your_SSID"
>      The response should be "OK".
>
> 4. set_network psk "Your_passphrase"
>      The response should be "OK".
>
> 5. enable_network 0
>      The response should be "OK". Authentication and association
>      should take place.
>
> 6. status 0
>      Has it?

So I did it actually on the machine, and yes the card is partly alive - we
have sadly known that all along.  I can paste the file if anyone is
interested, but it must have become boring.  It was not an actual connection:
ping did not work, although I had a network 0.  Ping was obviously working
previously over the ethernet that was connected so that I could ssh.  Doh!

I'm going to try that new card when it comes.  I may, of course, be wasting
£6, but I also may have a little hair left still, and it may not yet have
gone grey. :-(

Lisi