Re: catastrophe - but how? Aptitude goes mad

On Friday 01 July 2016 05:43:44 Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote on 07/01/16 01:35:
> > On Thursday 30 June 2016 19:25:37 Lisi Reisz wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > No, thats just grep being grep, it says that of ANY binary file it
> > tries to read as text.  I have spent days pouring over the manpages
> > for grep, looking for a option to feed it to make grep quit that,
> > simply because its so verbose that what you are looking for can get
> > lost in its blathering about that.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> Is 'grep -rI /etc' doing what you want? The switch "-I" should
> "process a binary file as if it did not contain matching data".
>
> Regards,
> jvp.

But in the example that started this side-track discussion, following the
simlinks discloses that the /usr/bin/aptitude-curses file does indeed
match, but having looked at hex dumps of compiled C for 30 years now, I
will repeat myself by saying yes, its there and case matches the string
being searched for BECAUSE the binary has to have that string as a
comparison that determines how it runs.   IOW, once is 100% expected.

However I have no similar reasoning to apply to the match in the
python-2.7 tree. OTOH, me not a python guru.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)