Re: catastrophe - but how? Aptitude goes mad

On 2016-07-01, <tomas@tuxteam.de> <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

> I freely admit I didn't know, but now I do:
>
>  -R follows (recursively) symbolic links
>  -r follows a symbolic link only if it is the top-level argument

I looked it up in the man page too.  It said:

 -R, -r, --recursive
 Read  all  files  under each directory, recursively; this
 is equivalent to the -d recurse option.

Only the info page gives the distinction you've noted above.
('--recursive' is equivalent to 'r' and 'deference-recursive' is
equivalent to '-R')

The info page also talks about why grep reports binary file matches, but
suppresses the output (not useful and display-mucking). You can force
grep to display output from seemingly binary files with the '-a' flag or
eliminate the binary file matches messages with the '-I' flag.

Whew.

--
Hypertext--or should I say the ideology of hypertext?--is ultrademocratic and
so entirely in harmony with the demagogic appeals to cultural democracy that