Re: USB printer CUPS stalls on "Sending data to printer"

Brian wrote:
> On Wed 22 Jun 2016 at 15:21:45 +0000, Dan Purgert wrote:
>
>> Emanuel Berg wrote:
>> > printer laser now printing laser-528.  enabled since Wed 22 Jun 2016
>> > 16:42:55 CEST
>> > 	Filter failed
>> >

>> Seems the input (or output) filter failed.  You'll likely need to check
>> if it's trying to call any 32-bit libraries (my brother does this), and
>> add the relevant i386 support for them.
>
> I think this happens because the Brother debs are not real debs but RPM
> packages converted with alien.

They're not even debs -- they're build-from-source archives.  But they
work great when I remember to set up multiarch.

>> Although, the error is vague, and there's not much context -- another
>> fix could simply be getting the latest hplip (if you don't already have
>> it).
>
> "Filter failed" is pretty clear.

Yes, but not having any context of 'what' filter(s) are being used, the
statement "filter failed" is vague.

--
|_|O|_| Registered Linux user #585947
|O|O|O|