Re: Upgrading iceweasel on Wheezy LTS

On 2016-06-10 17:14 +0000, Curt wrote:

> On 2016-06-10, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
>> On 2016-06-10 08:13 +0000, Curt wrote:
>>
>>> In order to upgrade iceweasel, apt is asking to install an extra
>>> package, notably firefox-esr, whereas (when) I am running firefox-release.
>>
>> Yes.  The switch from iceweasel to firefox-esr has been mentioned in the
>> recent DSA 3600-1 security announcement[1].
>>
>>> Is this a dilemma?  Can I run both firefox-esr and firefox-release?
>>
>> Yes, albeit not both at the same time with the same profile (this has
>> always been the case).
>>

> How would that work having both packages on my system at the same time;
> I mean, for example, if I typed 'firefox' in a terminal which flavor
> would I be likely to launch?

The non-esr version if it is present on your system.

> Is there no clean way simply to keep iceweasel permanently 'kept back'
> without resorting to uninstalling it, as I really have no need for both
> the esr and release versions?

You already have them, since iceweasel _is_ the esr version of firefox,
except that it has a different name and icon.  As I said, to avoid
having both versions installed you need to create your own iceweasel
metapackage.  That's probably not really worth the effort, considering
how little 100 Megabytes of disk space cost these days.

Cheers,
       Sven