Re: Upgrading iceweasel on Wheezy LTS

On 2016-06-10 08:13 +0000, Curt wrote:

> In order to upgrade iceweasel, apt is asking to install an extra
> package, notably firefox-esr, whereas (when) I am running firefox-release.

Yes.  The switch from iceweasel to firefox-esr has been mentioned in the
recent DSA 3600-1 security announcement[1].

> Is this a dilemma?  Can I run both firefox-esr and firefox-release?

Yes, albeit not both at the same time with the same profile (this has
always been the case).

> Unfortunately I'm in one of those situations in which if I wanted to
> take the easy way out and uninstall iceweasel, it would take my gnome desktop
> along with it.

That's because gnome-core in Wheezy depends on iceweasel.  Probably the
dependencies of such metapackages won't be changed in Wheezy.  If you
really want to avoid having to install firefox-esr, you could build your
own iceweasel transitional package to depend on firefox[2], but I guess
that's not good if you need support for it.

Cheers,
       Sven

1. https://lists.debian.org/debian-security-announce/2016/msg00178.html
2. https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=822786