Re: Locales, Keyboard Layouts

On Thu 09 Jun 2016 at 10:56:44 (-0600), Levi Darrell wrote:
> I am using the lxde desktop environment with xorg. I have installed the
> "Keyboard Layout Handler" applet, and I am attempting to use the French and
> Latin American keyboard layouts. Single-keystroke characters, such as ñ οr
> ç work just fine, but I am having difficulty inputting characters which
> require multiple keystrokes, such as á, í, ú, ó, ö, ï, ü, ê, â, î, ô, û,
> etc.
>
> When everything is working properly, these characters can be produced
> without the use of a Compose or AltGr key. They are composed of a
> two-keystroke combination of the accent mark--^, ¨; ´, etc.-- and the
> letter. Strangely, these keystroke combinations work just fine in
> LibreOffice Writer, but when I try to input them into a web browser or
> terminal shell emulator they look like this instead: ´i, ´e, ´u, ´a, ´o,
> ^e, ^o, ^a, ^u, etc.
>
> How can I get these keyboard layouts to function properly?

I would have thought that you would put XKBLAYOUT="fr,latam"
in your /etc/default/keyboard which gives you deadkeys by default.
That's for X itself (I know nothing about LXDE) but also the VCs.

dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
will update the VC keyboards. I always run
dpkg-reconfigure console-setup
at the same time because I sometimes forget which configures what.

HOWEVER, only run those two commands when X isn't running.
At all. Not in a VC that you reached with Ctrl + Alt + F[1-6].
If X is running, all sorts of weirdnesses result.
This might be the answer to your other posting.

Cheers,
David.