Locales, Keyboard Layouts

Hi Debian Users List,

I am using the lxde desktop environment with xorg. I have installed the "Keyboard Layout Handler" applet, and I am attempting to use the French and Latin American keyboard layouts. Single-keystroke characters, such as ñ οr ç work just fine, but I am having difficulty inputting characters which require multiple keystrokes, such as á, í, ú, ó, ö, ï, ü, ê, â, î, ô, û, etc.

When everything is working properly, these characters can be produced without the use of a Compose or AltGr key. They are composed of a two-keystroke combination of the accent mark--^, ¨; ´, etc.-- and the letter. Strangely, these keystroke combinations work just fine in LibreOffice Writer, but when I try to input them into a web browser or terminal shell emulator they look like this instead: ´i, ´e, ´u, ´a, ´o, ^e, ^o, ^a, ^u, etc.

How can I get these keyboard layouts to function properly?

Regards,

Levi