Re: Linux startup, Wheezy -- a required script won't run on startup, but can run manually without any trouble

Andrew McGlashan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the Solaris world and most SYSV systems like it, there was a very
> simple startup system; it was not systemd, nor is it the "modern day"
> sysvinit.  It was much simpler and worked very, very well and extremely
> reliably.  How can we get that back on modern Debian?
>

> I mean simple, just like this:
>
>  - when entering a run level (start passed to each script)
>
>    - run all S scripts in alphanumeric order
>      S02xxx before S03xxx and S02aaa before S02aab ...
>
>  - when exiting a run level (stop passed to each script)
>
>    - run all K scripts in alphanumeric order
>      K02xxx before K03xxx and K02aaa before K02aab ...

That's pretty much sysvinit right there ... perhaps you're thinking of
"Upstart" as the "modern sysvinit"?

> Now I have sysvinit isntalled on wheezy, it is failing to run a simple
> script during system boot (as part of a planed reboot) and I cannot work
> out why.

What error messages (if any) are you getting?

> Now, I want the archiving script to run on system startup, I don't want
> dovecot or exim4 to be running when the script starts, it simply needs
> to have the /backup and /var file systems mounted to do it's required job

Looks like it might also need syslog running...

> My script is meant to create a log file in the /var/log directory.  If I
> run the script manually, it works perfectly.  There are some generic
> parts in the script, it is a fairly simple script, even if a little bit
> over complicated.  What do I need to do to fix it?

Not sure if this is an artifact of how you sent the mail to the group,
but your ARCHIVE_DIR is "3D/backup/[...]".  That's not a valid path.

--
|_|O|_| Registered Linux user #585947
|O|O|O|