Re: rkhunter -c, doesnt show any rootkit

On Wed 08 Jun 2016 at 22:16:03 (-0000), Dan Purgert wrote:
> David Wright wrote:
> >> The last time, was with httrack, after download files (45 files),
> >> after some minutes dissapeared. repeated three times. The computer
> >> has not any port open on external interfaces (eth0,wlan0), it runs
> >> debian wheezy .On cron i dont see something that could remove theese
> >> files.
> >> Any suggestion?
> >
> > [also]
> >
> >> The Download target was $HOME
> >
> > Whose $HOME? It would be bizarre to download a website into your own
> > home directory. Someone changing files on the other side of the world
> > could change files in your own home directory.
>
> Well, if he's /Downloading/ something (e.g. the latest *.tgz for some
> sourcecode), one would imagine it's HIS $HOME (or at least $HOME of the
> currently logged in user).  This is the default action in Iceweasel --
> or, at least on my install it was.
>
> Or have I missed something somewhere?  Seems the thread got broken
> somewhere, so not 100% certain if this is the latest info ...

The OP hasn't posted a lot of information, so I made some assumptions.

He mentions httrack and 45 files, so I assumed he was downloading a website
rather than, say, a single tgz. httrack would be overkill for that.
But how would you like someone else's website to determine your own
home directory's files and folder structure.

The httrack manual documents this option:

 X *purge old files after update

where * is the default value.

This does imply that httrack can remove files as well as download them
(ie it tracks the files hosted somewhere else). The FAQ contains at
one point:
"Therefore, all other files have been deleted to show the current
state of the website!"

Hence my suggestion, as requested.

Cheers,
David.