Re: Version and Release

On Wed, Jun 08, 2016 at 12:20:48PM +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 12:03:12 +0200
> "c.holper@ades.at" <c.holper@ades.at> wrote:
>
> Hello c.holper@ades.at,
>
> >I understand the versions have nicknames (8 = jessie, 7 = wheezy, 6 =
> >squeeze, ...).
> >I also understand there are 3 releases of every version (stable,
> >testing, unstable) and
>
> That's where the bulk of your problem lies;  stable, testing and
> unstable are not three releases of every version.  Currently,
> oldstable=7=wheezy, stable=8=jessie, testing is what will be the next
> stable version, is codenamed stretch, and will most likely be version
> number 9.
>
> When current testing becomes stable (i.e. when Debian release a new
> version), things will change such that stable=9=stretch,
> oldstable=8=jessie and testing will get a new, as yet undecided, release
> name.  It will, of course, be a Toy Story character's name.
>
> So, whenever Debian release the next version (Stretch,v9), the
> oldstable, oldoldstable, stable and testing names will be pointed to
> their new positions.
>
> sid=unstable and never, AFAIAA, takes a version number.
>
> --
>  Regards  _
>          / )           "The blindingly obvious is
>         / _)rad        never immediately apparent"
> I'll tell you something, I think that you should know
> Rich Kids - Rich Kids

As of today:

Squeeze-LTS - Debian 6.8 is history

Wheezy-LTS - Debian 7.11 - has a couple of years support as of a couple of days ago.

Jessie - Debian 8.5 - is current Stable

Stretch - Debian 9 - will be released early next year in all likelihood - is current Testing

Buster - Debian 10 - will be the release after Stretch

Sid == unstable, permanently

So when the next major release time comes round:

Jessie will become oldstable

Stretch will become stable

What is testing at that point will eventually be the release eventually called Buster

Sid == sid == unstable

Hope this helps,

Andy C