Re: make ping executable by normal users?

Le decadi 20 prairial, an CCXXIV, Reco a écrit :
> Yes, and "aptitude search '~nping'" shows 41 result for me (42 actually
> if you count busybox).
> I'm somewhat lazy to test each and every implementation of ping to check
> which one fails in 'icmp open socket' instead of 'sendmsg'.
>
> So, my point is - it's entirely possible to get EPERM in ping by
> misconfiguring iptables.

No, it is not. There is no need to painstakingly try every single
implementation of ping: some people here know how to actually implement
ping, they know what the various system calls do and how they interact with
firewall rules and network error feedback. And based on that knowledge, they
can tell you: EPERM can be caused by firewall rules on the sendmsg() system
call, but not on the socket() system call, and the original error message
states it happens on the socket() system call.

Note that nobody blames you for not knowing that, it is not a mandatory
knowledge for using Debian, and I am sure there are other things you know
about Debian that few other people know. But try to get the feel of the wind
and understand that, lacking the corresponding knowledge, you should take
their word for it.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George