Re: make ping executable by normal users?

On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 at 23:15, Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 06, 2016 at 10:06:54AM +1200, Jan Bakuwel wrote:
> Check your firewall rules.

It can't be firewall rules. Try this to block outgoing ping:

iptables -A OUTPUT -p icmp --icmp-type echo-request -j REJECT

then try to ping anywhere. You will get a different error message,
namely "Destination Port Unreachable".

[ Why people do not read all messages in the thread before answering
  is a mystery to me ].

Thanks.

No, that's not true, you definitely can get this very error due to something to do with the firewall, maybe it's not able to resolve the ping target rather than not able to reach the resulting host, I'm damned if I can remember the specifics but I've definitely seen this happen on an lfs box before and it was nothing to do with perms (as I said before, to your point about people not reading the whole thread...)

Mark