Re: Advice sought re HDD --> SSD migration

On 06/05/2016 04:40 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
... if I understand correctly, [the SSD 960 GB RAID1] option would
end up reducing my available space from 1.5TB in HDD land to 1TB (or
 960GB) in SSD land, which is also a disadvantage.

A large SSD RAID is great for multimedia editor scratch files,
databases, web server content, etc.. But, it is a waste for bulk data. You could use the 500 GB and 1 TB drives for bulk data now, and then migrate to large HDD's/ RAID later.

... Any clever ploys to deal with [changing UID's and GID's after a
fresh install]?

For users, I track usernames, UID's, and GID's, and refer to that when creating accounts.

For services, I restore and chown -R if needed (I don't run many services, and the Debian project seems to have kept service UID's/GID's fairly stable over the years).

David