Re: console fonts and systemd (was ... Re: What can AppArmor do?)

Nowadays I use console-setup (specifically /etc/default/console-setup)
to set up my default console font (with alternatives commented out in
that file so I don't have to look them up).

However, to change fonts on the fly, I use setfont which has the
advantage that you can have different fonts on different VCs.
To make it easier to type the font names precisely (a necessity),
I use a function:
function my-font-usr-share-consolefonts {
    local FILENAME=$(basename "$1")
    setfont ${FILENAME%%.*}
}
which reminds me to start the argument with /usr/share/consolefonts/,
and then strips what's not necessary before handing it to setfont.
(I'm using bash-completion throughout, obviously).

On Wed 25 May 2016 at 08:04:27 (+1200), cbannister@slingshot.co.nz wrote:
> So, actually the answer to your question is that I have no idea what font
> I was running on this system to give the "wee squares"
>
> If I choose Terminus instead of TerminusBold, then the ’ changes to a sort
> of D shape with a squiggle on top! I'm guessing the char was a right
> side single curly quote, that you posted David?

And here's my observation. When you type real quotation marks (ie ‘’“”),
the correct glyphs appear on the screen. After changing font, those
glyphs turn into different glyphs, but freshly typed quotation marks
appear with the correct glyphs.

I have no idea why this happens, but it does mean that your statement
above needs qualification. The glyphs that change to a sort of D shape
with a squiggle on top, are these glyphs that were already on the
screen before you changed choice, or are they fresh glyphs written afterwards?

Cheers,
David.