Re: Pursuant to my efforts to remove, and update the remaining :amd64 built packages [SOLVED]

On Saturday 04 June 2016 17:49:02 Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote on 06/04/16 23:02:
> > On Saturday 04 June 2016 16:12:30 Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:
> >> I'm glad it worked for you.
> >> Now I'm just curious what
> >>
> >>   aptitude search '~c'
> >>
> >> spits out now.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> jvp.
> >
> > A rather lengthy list I'll paste, wordwrap off again:
> >
> > root@coyote:/var/lib/dpkg# aptitude search ~c
> > c   brasero
> >                  - CD/DVD burning application for GNOME c
> > brasero-common
> >              - Common files for the Brasero CD burning application
> > and library c   browser-plugin-gnash
> >                              - GNU Shockwave Flash (SWF) player -
> > Plugin for Mozilla and derivatives
>
> <snip>
>
> > c   xfdesktop4
> >                  - xfce desktop background, icons and root menu
> > manager c   xfprint4
> >                          - Printer GUI for Xfce4 c   xfwm4
> >                                                                   -
> > window manager of the Xfce project
> >
> > That's all folks!  Thanks JVP.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> All these remnants of previously installed packages can be safely
> removed from your system in my opinion.
> If you prefer dpkg, try
>
>   dpkg --purge --pending

Failed, libpixman1.0 has deps from the xorg.server
root@coyote:/var/lib/dpkg# dpkg --purge --pending
dpkg: dependency problems prevent removal of libpixman-1-0:i386:
 xserver-xorg-video-intel depends on libpixman-1-0 (>= 0.21.6).
 libpixman-1-dev depends on libpixman-1-0 (= 0.26.0-4+deb7u2).
 xserver-xorg-core depends on libpixman-1-0 (>= 0.21.6).
 libcairo2:i386 depends on libpixman-1-0 (>= 0.21.6).

dpkg: error processing libpixman-1-0:i386 (--purge):
 dependency problems - not removing
 libpixman-1-0:i386

> Or heavier, using aptitude
>
>   aptitude purge '~c'

And that wants to behead the system, removing quite a few packages I use
frequently, so I gave it a 'n'.

> but this could try to remove also other automatically installed
> packages which are not needed by any other package. To get a list of
> such candidates use
>
>   aptitude search '~g'

And that returns an equally lengthy list, all prefaced with an 'id'.  No
clue what that means as I don't believe I have the reference manual.

> "g" like garbage.
>
> Regards,
> jvp.

Thanks JVP.