Re: Pursuant to my efforts to remove, and update the remaining :amd64 built packages

On Saturday 04 June 2016 05:53:17 Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:

> The aptitude on your system is an older version (on sid it is 0.8.1),

Yes, this is wheezy. 6.8.2 here.

> maybe it hasn't the full architecture support.
> The dpkg output is reliable, I think. Since in the output of the dpkg
> command all amd64 packages have an "ii" at the beginning of the line,
> it shows that all your amd64 packages are installed correctly.
>
> Then, I'd like to see the output of

$>dpkg -C >trash.list, cat trash.list
The following packages have an unknown foreign architecture, which will
cause dependency issues on front-ends. This can be fixed by registering
the foreign architecture with dpkg --add-architecture:
 libxdmcp6:amd64      X11 Display Manager Control Protocol library
 libfreetype6:amd64   FreeType 2 font engine, shared library files
 libxml2:amd64        GNOME XML library
 libdbus-1-3:amd64    simple interprocess messaging system (library)
 libvorbisfile3:amd64 The Vorbis General Audio Compression Codec (High Level AP
 libffi5:amd64        Foreign Function Interface library runtime
 libuuid1:amd64       Universally Unique ID library
 libgssapi-krb5-2:amd64 MIT Kerberos runtime libraries - krb5 GSS-API Mechanism
 libdbus-glib-1-2:amd64 simple interprocess messaging system (GLib-based shared l
 libk5crypto3:amd64   MIT Kerberos runtime libraries - Crypto Library
 libudev0:amd64       libudev shared library
 libfontconfig1:amd64 generic font configuration library - runtime
 libogg0:amd64        Ogg bitstream library
 libthai0:amd64       Thai language support library
 zlib1g:amd64         compression library - runtime
 libgcc1:amd64        GCC support library
 libasound2:amd64     shared library for ALSA applications
 libsqlite3-0:amd64   SQLite 3 shared library
 libkeyutils1:amd64   Linux Key Management Utilities (library)
 libjbig0:amd64       JBIGkit libraries
 libattr1:amd64       Extended attribute shared library
 libtiff4:amd64       Tag Image File Format (TIFF) library (old version)
 libaudiofile1:amd64  Open-source version of SGI's audiofile library
 libkrb5support0:amd64 MIT Kerberos runtime libraries - Support library
 libcomerr2:amd64     common error description library
 libmng1:amd64        Multiple-image Network Graphics library
 libacl1:amd64        Access control list shared library
 libjpeg8:amd64       Independent JPEG Group's JPEG runtime library
 libdatrie1:amd64     Double-array trie library
 libavahi-common-data:amd64 Avahi common data files
 libjasper1:amd64     JasPer JPEG-2000 runtime library
 libatk1.0-0:amd64    ATK accessibility toolkit
 liblzma5:amd64       XZ-format compression library
 libavahi-common3:amd64 Avahi common library
 torsocks             use SOCKS-friendly applications with Tor
 libpcre3:amd64       Perl 5 Compatible Regular Expression Library - runtime fi
 liblcms1:amd64       Little CMS color management library
 libbz2-1.0:amd64     high-quality block-sorting file compressor library - runt
 libvorbis0a:amd64    The Vorbis General Audio Compression Codec (Decoder libra
 gcc-4.7-base:amd64   GCC, the GNU Compiler Collection (base package)
 libavahi-client3:amd64 Avahi client library
 libice6:amd64        X11 Inter-Client Exchange library
 libselinux1:amd64    SELinux runtime shared libraries
 libevent-2.0-5:amd64 Asynchronous event notification library
 libsm6:amd64         X11 Session Management library
 libpng12-0:amd64     PNG library - runtime
 libhunspell-1.3-0:amd64 spell checker and morphological analyzer (shared library)
 libstdc++6:amd64     GNU Standard C++ Library v3
 libglib2.0-0:amd64   GLib library of C routines
 libkrb5-3:amd64      MIT Kerberos runtime libraries
 libxau6:amd64        X11 authorisation library

55 lines according to wc -l

So I did that by copy paste but some had dependencies, when that was done, a fresh
dpkg -C generated this trash.list2:

[...]

Which are being held due to dependencies.

> You said it showed 60 package names in error all tagged :amd64.
> These are not shown in the list generated by "dpkg -l | grep
> ':amd64'". They should be taken care of first by purging them all
> together. I don't remember the output format. The idea is to generate
> a command to extract the package names from this and feed it to dpkg
> --purge.

The output format is a mess, wc -l says 20, and word wrap is off, long lines
pi  gcc-4.7-base:amd64                        4.7.2-5                                   amd64        GCC, the GNU Compiler Collection (base package)
pi  libattr1:amd64                            1:2.4.46-8                                amd64        Extended attribute shared library
pi  libavahi-common-data:amd64                0.6.31-2                                  amd64        Avahi common data files
pi  libavahi-common3:amd64                    0.6.31-2                                  amd64        Avahi common library
pi  libcomerr2:amd64                          1.42.5-1.1+deb7u1                         amd64        common error description library
pi  libdbus-1-3:amd64                         1.6.8-1+deb7u6                            amd64        simple interprocess messaging system (library)
pi  libffi5:amd64                             3.0.10-3                                  amd64        Foreign Function Interface library runtime
pi  libfreetype6:amd64                        2.4.9-1.1+deb7u3                          amd64        FreeType 2 font engine, shared library files
pi  libgcc1:amd64                             1:4.7.2-5                                 amd64        GCC support library
pi  libice6:amd64                             2:1.0.8-2                                 amd64        X11 Inter-Client Exchange library
pi  libjbig0:amd64                            2.0-2+deb7u1                              amd64        JBIGkit libraries
pi  libjpeg8:amd64                            8d-1+deb7u1                               amd64        Independent JPEG Group's JPEG runtime library
pi  libk5crypto3:amd64                        1.10.1+dfsg-5+deb7u7                      amd64        MIT Kerberos runtime libraries - Crypto Library
pi  libkeyutils1:amd64                        1.5.5-3+deb7u1                            amd64        Linux Key Management Utilities (library)
pi  libkrb5support0:amd64                     1.10.1+dfsg-5+deb7u7                      amd64        MIT Kerberos runtime libraries - Support library
pi  libogg0:amd64                             1.3.0-4                                   amd64        Ogg bitstream library
pi  libpcre3:amd64                            1:8.30-5                                  amd64        Perl 5 Compatible Regular Expression Library - runtime
files
pi  libselinux1:amd64                         2.1.9-5                                   amd64        SELinux runtime shared libraries
pi  libuuid1:amd64                            2.20.1-5.3                                amd64        Universally Unique ID library
pi  zlib1g:amd64                              1:1.2.7.dfsg-13                           amd64        compression library - runtime

What does the leading pi denote?

I assume I probably need to somehow force the i386 versions of these to be installed?

> Regards,
> jvp.

My highest Regards back at you, for even trying to sort the mess I made by adding amd64 to the arch file.

Thank you, a lot.

> Gene Heskett wrote on 06/04/16 02:50:
> > On Friday 03 June 2016 20:06:57 Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:
> >> Some more explanations: these tilde-on-letter combinations are
> >> search patterns for aptitude. "~c" stands for packages already
> >> removed but not purged, there are some config files left on the
> >> system. See also "--purge --pending" in the man page of dpkg.
> >> So this does no harm if you don't intend to reinstall one of these
> >> packages.
> >>
> >> Just to list these sort of packages command
> >>
> >>   aptitude search '~c'
> >>
> >> "~ramd64" addresses all packages for architecture amd64, "~i"
> >> addresses all installed packages. The patterns can be combined, for
> >> example
> >>
> >>   aptitude search '~c~ramd64'
> >>
> >> Could you show what this command lists?
> >> You said
> >>
> >>   aptitude search '~i~ramd64'
> >
> > Still does not return anything
> >
> >> didn't list any package, which would mean there is no amd64 package
> >> installed on your system.
> >>
> >> Could you also show the outcome of
> >>
> >>   dpkg -l | grep ':amd64'
> >
> > root@coyote:/var/lib/dpkg# dpkg -l | grep ':amd64'
> > ii  gcc-4.7-base:amd64                        4.7.2-5
> > amd64        GCC, the GNU Compiler Collection (base package)
> > ii  libacl1:amd64                             2.2.51-8
> > amd64        Access control list shared library
>
> <snip>
>
> > ii  libxml2:amd64                             2.8.0+dfsg1-7+wheezy5
> > amd64        GNOME XML library
> > ii  zlib1g:amd64                              1:1.2.7.dfsg-13
> > amd64        compression library - runtime
> >
> > and
> > root@coyote:/var/lib/dpkg# dpkg -l | grep ':amd64'|wc -l
> > 50
> >
> > Not sure what to believe here.