Re: Ideas to obtain text file list of emails in an IMAP folder?

On 03/06/2016 17:31, Dan Purgert wrote:
Ron Leach wrote:
Have any debian-user readers ever tried to create a list of all the
email messages stored in an IMAP folder?

Do the same here (Dovecot + Postfix), not 100% certain if this'll match
your setup, but it should be pretty close.

[snip]

#!/bin/bash

[snip most of the the script body]
   done )&  spinner $!

Well. That worked very well. Clever, too; I was thinking I'd need to use the imap protocol to extract the headers from Dovecot, in the same way that an email client does.

I've never dabbled in scripts; I'm going to use this to learn about how they work. I followed most of it but at the moment I don't understand how the script either
(a) finds each message (we're using Maildir), nor
(b) how it prints the 5 lines in each report stanza while only using one 'printf' statement.
But that's what I'm going to find out - tomorrow, now.

Anyway, it's doing exactly what I need. I commented out the inter-message line of '====', because it annoyed the downstream spreadsheet that I was using to analyse the output.

Dan, I'm much obliged,

regards

Ron