Re: GRUB Graphic to Console

On 2016-05-24 10:54 -0700, ray wrote:

> I would like to control the graphic resolution on a minimally
> installed stretch to help make the console easier to read.
>
> This is a Toshiba 4K display on a laptop.  Stretch is a EFI boot on a 400 GB SSD.

Nice machine.

> This is what I tried and found to work partially:
>
> GRUB_GFXMODE=1920x1440
> GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep
>
> Being an EFI boot, there is no vbeinfo to test the available graphic
> modes.  I used xandr on a Jessie Live CD (legacy) boot on this machine
> to find the acceptable modes for the video.  It reported 19 modes.  I
> tested all of them, the following were the modes that did work under
> stretch:
> 3840x2160
> 1920x1440
> 1600x1200
> 1280x1024
> 1024x768
> 640x480
>
> Partially worked:
> The two above entries in /etc/default/grub worked for listing the GRUB
> menu and the subsequent screen (I'll call them screen 1 and screen 2)
> for each of the subsequent mode tests. The third screen looks like
> 3840x2160 (very small text, difficult to read) for all mode
> tests. Then, the subsequent screens and including the console screen
> looks like about 1920x1440 for all modes tests. So it seems the two
> mode statements only effect the screen 1 & 2, the Grub menu.
>
> Maybe this is what is supposed to happen as the grub statement is
> GRUB_GFXMODE. But I thought the payload = keep was supposed to be
> 'keep' this mode for everything after GRUB.

Only until a kernel graphics driver is loaded, those by default use the
resolution which is preferred by the monitor for the console.

> How do I get control of the resolution and font at the console?

You can specify the resolution with the "video" kernel parameter,
e.g. "video=1920x1440".  I suspect that this will not look good since it
does not match the 16:9 aspect ratio of your display.

The setfont program can change the font of the current virtual console,
e.g. "setfont Uni2-Terminus32x16".  Look in the directory
/usr/share/consolefonts/ to see which fonts are available.  Once you
have found a font which you like, use "dpkg-reconfigure console-setup"
or edit /etc/default/console-setup directly.

Good luck,
Sven