GRUB Graphic to Console

I would like to control the graphic resolution on a minimally installed stretch to help make the console easier to read.

This is a Toshiba 4K display on a laptop.  Stretch is a EFI boot on a 400 GB SSD.

This is what I tried and found to work partially:

GRUB_GFXMODE=1920x1440
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep

Being an EFI boot, there is no vbeinfo to test the available graphic modes.  I used xandr on a Jessie Live CD (legacy) boot on this machine to find the acceptable modes for the video.  It reported 19 modes.  I tested all of them, the following were the modes that did work under stretch:
3840x2160
1920x1440
1600x1200
1280x1024
1024x768
640x480

Partially worked:
The two above entries in /etc/default/grub worked for listing the GRUB menu and the subsequent screen (I'll call them screen 1 and screen 2) for each of the subsequent mode tests. The third screen looks like 3840x2160 (very small text, difficult to read) for all mode tests. Then, the subsequent screens and including the console screen looks like about 1920x1440 for all modes tests. So it seems the two mode statements only effect the screen 1 & 2, the Grub menu.

Maybe this is what is supposed to happen as the grub statement is GRUB_GFXMODE. But I thought the payload = keep was supposed to be 'keep' this mode for everything after GRUB.

How do I get control of the resolution and font at the console? What about the terminal?

Ray