Re: OSS Versus ALSA Modules

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> writes:
> There are log tracks if you run dmesg|grep -i snd <enter> you may find
> them.

	Not quite, but my face is still bright red. dmesg just
reports that Plug&Play found both cards but tells nothing else.
I had looked in syslog and found that dispnp also writes the same
messages there but if you search syslog for snd, there's where
you strike gold. I had been looking for words like audio, alsa,
sound and "sound card," just about every possible word except for
module names and that's where you find where things went wrong.

	The modules are found and the problem report immediately
follows so a message looks like:

May 20 03:18:58 localhost kernel: [   12.399346]
 sbawe 01:02.00: unable to assign resources
May 20 03:18:58 localhost kernel: [   12.401705] sbawe: AUDIO pnp configure failure

	In my junk box, I had an Ensoniq sound card that does
show up but is not usable due to a bad right channel as in
hardware failure. I still have the syslog file which shows
whichIRQ and DMA lines it grabbed so I may still be able to pass
those to the snd_sbawe module as parameters and convince it to
work. There is also syslog from the time I experimentally
switched the alsa-base.conf entries so I might learn something
from reading that.

	I amnot sure what resources are exhausted but there are
now more trails to follow. Thank you.

Martin McCormick