Re: Grub won't install

For the record, at least in my experience now, grub nor lilo will install from the Jessie netinst if you manually partition the drive instead of guided and then editing the layout. Maybe guided sets up the MBR or sda1 in such a way that you cant from part an? Idk but after guided parting then customizing grub installed fine. Unfortunately, after a day of operation, my session developed an error where it can't write to /tmp, btw I had separate root home var and temp partition, as well as swap, and thus will not proceed past KDE's login it just perpetually reboots.  Installing AGAIN because nothing in recovery helped, even clearing nearly all data from /tmp. Going to stick with just a root home and swaps partition now, mostly so I can encrypt home from inside the Os as well as encryption preboot. Hoping that'll solve any problems with tmp, and if not idk what to do. This is going to be my third successful reinstall within a week....things like this aren't going to corrupt my entire drive will it? I also had an error where it wouldn't mount /var but i fixed that simply by three fingers salute reboot instead of power button on the laptop, as turning it off that way seems to be what caused it to not remount var properly. Also, lilo works just fine with today's systems, like one guy said. It's what I was using before I decided to try and make a dual boot, which I gave up on as grub simply would recognize whichever encrypted partition I installed on Os in first once the second was installed.