Re: proper way to handle NFS for laptop ?

autofs will handle both issues just fine.
1. autofs disconnects a mount if there hasn't been any activity for a
certain amount of time (default 5 minutes).
2. see above

A distributed filesystem might create even more problems, as you'll have
to re-sync with the other nodes on reconnect, which -- in the worst case
-- might mean syncing almost everything.

Regards,
/peter