proper way to handle NFS for laptop ?

The obvious issues:

1 after sleeping the NFS connection is lost and takes a very long time to re-establish.  I was under the impression that systemd or -whatever-handles-sleeping- would unmount/remount the filesystem to avoid this , but apparently that's not the case.  Potentially  I can fix this with some sort of sleep-wake script hackery.

2 disconnecting the laptop from the network will obviously cause problems.

The standard suggestion is to use autofs,but I'm unclear as to whether that will handle case 2.  I'm actually not clear on whether or not it will handle case 1, and in fact have found some discussions that it does NOT.

The other possibility is to use a distributed filesystem on the laptop.  I actually like that idea the best, but I'm unsure what is available on Debian.

I looking for some suggestions/recommendations.

Thank you.