Re: /etc/init.d/networking does not start everything in /etc/network/interfaces

On Wednesday 18 May 2016 11:37:59 Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Wednesday 18 May 2016 16:14:36 Gene Heskett wrote:
> > auto lo eth0 eth1
> >
> > Its there in the complete interfaces file I just posted, and you
> > snipped.
>
> Gene - we have, I think, established that your set-up doesn't work the
> way predicted.
>
> The one thing that looks very different to me is the sticking of all
> three interfaces in one line like that.  I have always had them
> separate, each in its own section.  Also you have:
> address 127.0.0.1
> netmask 255.0.0.0
> which I haven't sen before.
> I can't see they would matter, but something does.
>
> Lisi
> -----
> Here is my "standard" file;
>
> # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
> # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>
> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # The primary network interface
> # auto eth0
> # iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> # iface eth0 inet static
> #       address 192.168.0.2
> #       netmask 255.255.255.0
> #       gateway 192.168.0.1
> #       network 192.168.0.0
> #       dns-nameservers 212.23.3.100 212.23.6.100
>

> # The secondary network interface
> auto eth1
> # iface eth1 inet dhcp
>
> iface eth1 inet static
>         address 192.168.0.2
>         netmask 255.255.255.0
>         gateway 192.168.0.1
>         network 192.168.0.0
>         dns-nameservers 212.23.3.100 212.23.6.100
> At that point I was only using one, though not necessarily the same
> one, so I ad to comment out as necessary.

I just re-arranged my interfaces file with 3 auto lines like you
suggested. One iface name above each iface description. No diffs that I
can see.  As installed it had an
 "auto lo eth0"
line at the top of the file.

Thanks Lisi.