Re: /etc/init.d/networking does not start everything in /etc/network/interfaces

On Wednesday 18 May 2016 16:14:36 Gene Heskett wrote:
> auto lo eth0 eth1
>
> Its there in the complete interfaces file I just posted, and you snipped.

Gene - we have, I think, established that your set-up doesn't work the way
predicted.

The one thing that looks very different to me is the sticking of all three
interfaces in one line like that.  I have always had them separate, each in
its own section.  Also you have:
address 127.0.0.1
netmask 255.0.0.0
which I haven't sen before.
I can't see they would matter, but something does.

Lisi
-----
Here is my "standard" file;

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
# auto eth0
# iface eth0 inet dhcp

# iface eth0 inet static
#       address 192.168.0.2
#       netmask 255.255.255.0
#       gateway 192.168.0.1
#       network 192.168.0.0
#       dns-nameservers 212.23.3.100 212.23.6.100

# The secondary network interface
auto eth1
# iface eth1 inet dhcp

iface eth1 inet static
        address 192.168.0.2
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 192.168.0.1
        network 192.168.0.0
        dns-nameservers 212.23.3.100 212.23.6.100
At that point I was only using one, though not necessarily the same one, so I
ad to comment out as necessary.