Re: Something never understood: see USB storage in CLI & mc

On Wednesday 18 May 2016 05:40:06 Felix Miata wrote:

> Ron Leach composed on 2016-05-18 10:30 (UTC+0100):
> > One aspect of Debian I've never managed to 'get', is how to 'see'
> > any temporarily plugged-in USB storage device, from the command line
> > or in mc.  The machines in question are using Wheezy.
> >
> > I often use a machine (with only cli) to download overnight - this
> > works well.  But when I insert (say) a 2G or 4G USB storage, I
> > cannot 'find' any mount referring to the USB storage.
> >
> > I assume that I have to mount the USB storage, but where should I
> > find the reference for the physical device to mount?  Best of all
> > would be to make this process 'automatic', if I could.
> >
> > Not all the devices are formatted with vfat; I think some use
> > ext(x), and some are dd'd ISOs.  Because labelling these devices is
> > not very practical, I'd like to be able to plug them in and check
> > what they contain - before, perhaps, overwriting them with something
> > new.
> >
> > I'd be interested in how other users organise this but, essentially,
> > I'd be grateful for any advice on where to find the physical device
> > to use in a mount command.  And, as a secondary question (there are
> > two points on offer for this one), how to mount it without knowing
> > the device's fs.
>
> # lsscsi
> [9:0:0:0]	disk	FLASH	Drive SM_USB20	1100	/dev/sdg...

My wheezy install does not have this command.  The OP might not either,
but installing it shouldn't be that difficult.

> # blkid /dev/sdg
>
> # mount -t auto (or the type reported by blkid)

With lsscsi to help id the device, this is possibly a faster method than
mine.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)