Something never understood: see USB storage in CLI & mc

List, good morning,

One aspect of Debian I've never managed to 'get', is how to 'see' any temporarily plugged-in USB storage device, from the command line or in mc. The machines in question are using Wheezy.

I often use a machine (with only cli) to download overnight - this works well. But when I insert (say) a 2G or 4G USB storage, I cannot 'find' any mount referring to the USB storage.

I assume that I have to mount the USB storage, but where should I find the reference for the physical device to mount? Best of all would be to make this process 'automatic', if I could.

Not all the devices are formatted with vfat; I think some use ext(x), and some are dd'd ISOs. Because labelling these devices is not very practical, I'd like to be able to plug them in and check what they contain - before, perhaps, overwriting them with something new.

I'd be interested in how other users organise this but, essentially, I'd be grateful for any advice on where to find the physical device to use in a mount command. And, as a secondary question (there are two points on offer for this one), how to mount it without knowing the device's fs.

regards, Ron