Re: update-rc.d creates unexpected sequence numbers

Hi,

CN writes:
> On Sun, May 15, 2016, at 10:05 PM, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
>> That doesn't look correct: unless you defined a "$postgresql" system
>> facility (in /etc/insserv.conf), you should require "postgresql" and
>> not "$postgresql".
>>

> Many thanks for the correction, which seems to have fixed my execution
> problems.
[...]
> , command
> update-rc.d my-program defaults 20 80
> gives the correct orders of my-program and postgresql like so:

You can leave out the numbers at the end, that is just call

  update-rc.d my-program defaults

The sequence numbers are automatically calculated from the
dependencies by `insserv`. (Under both sysvinit and systemd.)

For older releases the specified number was relevant, but even the
documentation for `update-rc.d` in Wheezy documents the dependency-based
system; for Jessie and later the manual sequence numbers is even no
longer mentioned in the documentation (and always ignored anyway as far
as I know).

Ansgar