how to make systemd execute init.d script status statements?

When I upgraded one of my wheezy hosts to jessie, I noticed that

/etc/init.d/<my own daemon> status

command stopped working.

Looks like systemd does not execute the statements in status) case of
the init script at all, but just checks if the daemon process exists.
My '/etc/init.d/<my own daemon> status' did much more, i.e., it checked
if the daemon was actually able to do some real work.

So far I have had no luck in finding the answer from the web.

-- Juha