Re: Jessie Performance under GNOME

On 05/16/2016 09:12 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
"Jessie" is not generally very responsive compared to "Wheezy", display
update and mouse tracking is very very slow.
Could it be that your wheezy install did not use Gnome-3 and that you're
now using the standard Gnome-3 desktop (which presumes existence of 3D
GPU acceleration) on a system whose graphics card either has no 3D
abilities (or whose 3D abilities are not supported by the X.org driver)?

If so, try some other desktop: Gnome classic (not sure if it relies on
3D hardware as well, tho), Mate (a derivative of Gnome-2), xfce, ...
I use the cinnamon desktop, which is also a Gnome derivative. It seems to work pretty well on my older (or maybe simply OLD) Gateway laptop, on which I have always had performance problems with some of the newer software (Gnome desktop being among them). Cinnamon performs much better on that laptop than Gnome-3 does.

         Stefan

--
73's
Mike, WB6VQX